Street Performing Rules and Regulations

Street Performing Rules and Regulations

Street Performing Rules and Regulations

The City of Toronto regulates street performing under the provisions of the Streets and Public Spaces By-law. The following are some of the rules and regulations governing street performance in Toronto.

You can only perform on a sidewalk or in a park if you have been issued a permit from the Parks, Forestry and Recreation Division.

You can only perform on a street if you have been issued a permit from the Licensing and Permits Office, Municipal Licensing and Standards Division.

You must obtain your permit before you perform. If you do not have your permit with you when you are performing, police officers will ask to see it. If you cannot produce your permit, you may be asked to stop performing.

A person must not sing, play an instrument, perform, present any exhibit or other form of entertainment or sell any article or thing by way of business in a public place without first obtaining permission from the Parks and Recreation Department or the Licensing and Permits Office, as appropriate. A person who violates this section is guilty of an offence and liable to a fine of up to $5,000 for each day they contravene this section.

The City of Santa Cruz supports and encourages public art as an expression of community. Street performing is a form of public art that can be a valuable asset to the city’s cultural life. To accommodate street performing in Santa Cruz, while reducing potential negative impacts on other businesses and citizens, the following rules and regulations have been adopted.

Street Performing Rules and Regulations

Performers may only play music or perform between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m.

The following locations are prohibited for street performing:

* Within 200 feet of an ATM machine;

* Within 20 feet from any entrance/exit door to a business establishment;

* On any private property without permission from the property owner;

* On any property owned by the City of Santa Cruz without prior approval from the City Manager’s Office;

* In any public park or recreation area, unless prior approval has been obtained from the Parks & Recreation Department;

* On any sidewalk, driveway or parking lot area within a commercial zone (other than a city-owned parking lot) between 1:00 p.m. and 3:00 p.m., Monday through Saturday;

* In any location where there is not at least 8 feet clearance on all

There are a number of rules and regulations governing street performers in the city. The following suggestions will help you to perform safely and successfully within the guidelines set down by the City of Sydney.

Performers must obtain a licence before performing street activities or selling goods on public land.

The City of Sydney issues licences for most parts of the city. For more information please contact the City’s Licensing Unit on 02 9265 9333.

You must have your licence with you at all times while performing or selling your goods.

If you are 16 years old or younger, you also need written permission from your parent or guardian before you can apply for a licence.

Police may issue infringement notices to unlicensed performers and sellers or those who display unauthorised signs or literature.

A fee may be charged for issuing a licence.

The performing is just one part of being a street performer. You must also be a great promoter, coordinator, and manager. Street performing is a tough business, so you must be ready for the long haul. Here are some tips to help you get started:

1. Get your permits! You will not believe how often people forget this step.

2. Location is everything! You need lots of foot traffic and an area that will attract potential clients.

3. Create a routine that fits you and your act!

4. Create a great costume! Your costume is your brand! It should be flashy, colorful, and unique.

5. Never give up! Remember: practice makes perfect!

All street performers are required to obtain a permit from the Department of Public Works, Bureau of Revenue Collections. Permits must be visibly displayed while performing.

Performers shall not solicit contributions without first obtaining a permit from the Department of Public Works, Bureau of Revenue Collections.

Any person performing on city property is required to complete and sign a “Public Property Use Authorization” form at least one day in advance of any performance. Performances must be scheduled during regular business hours (8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.) Monday through Friday, except for holidays observed by City Hall or if City Hall is closed for any reason other than inclement weather conditions. The applicant must be present when completing this form.

Applicants may call the Department of Public Works at 410-396-3100 to schedule an appointment to meet with a representative from the Department of Public Works, Bureau of Revenue Collections, Room 320, City Hall, to discuss performance location and to complete a “Public Property Use Authorization” form providing details regarding the street performance.

If you choose to busk or street perform in New York City, keep the following tips in mind:

You need a permit to perform on the streets of New York. There are no exceptions. You must apply for your permit at least 14 days before performing. The application can be found here.

You may only perform in designated performance areas. The map below identifies these locations.

Performances are limited to 60 minutes per location and you may only perform once per day at any location.

Setup should take no more than 30 minutes and teardown should take no more than 15 minutes.

Performance guidelines include: You must remain stationary for the entire performance, but may move to another location during any 60 minute period; instruments that are supported by any stand or other device are prohibited; the use of fire is strictly prohibited; performances with animals are prohibited; performances that include more than 5 performers are prohibited; amplified sound is prohibited unless you have prior written approval from the New York City Department of Transportation (NYC DOT) and the NYPD; performances that obstruct traffic or pedestrian flow are prohibited; performances that block storefronts or entrances to buildings are prohibited; and performances that impede access to public transportation stops or government facilities are prohibited.

If you would like more information about

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *